How to find your Tax File Number
Lost or Stolen TFN
In case you have lost your Australian tax file number (TFN) you are not the only one. It is a unique number that is issued by the ATO that will help you to keep the track of your government payments and Australia tax return. Every individual will get a single TFN and even if your residency and name changes the number will remain the same so you have to keep it confidential.
For the ATO to identify you it is important that you give your tax file number while lodging your taxes. Whether you have lost it or you do not have one, we will let you know what to do.
Importance of tax file number
TFN is not compulsory but here are a few reasons that why you need it.
- Get the Australian tax return
- You can ask the ATO anything regarding your tax
- Apply for support payment and income assistance
- You can use PAYG withholdings
- Get the family tax benefits
- Including the TFN and withholding declaration, you can start a new job
- You can earn income through investment and saving accounts
- Get the HELP payments
- Be a part of Superfund
To find Tax File Number
If you are looking for the tax file number here are some of the documents where you can find it.
- The superannuation member statement
- Income tax notice for assessment
- In a payment summary
- Correspondence from ATO
In case you are unable to find the TFN in these sources the best way is to contact ATO.
How to apply for TFN
In case that you could not find the TFN then you can use the online services to apply for it. You have to keep in mind that different types of taxpayers will use different types of application methods.
Whether you are a resident or went to Australia for the first time you can apply for the TFN. However, in order to apply make sure that you are:
- Working in Australia
- Have the visa for New Zealand
- An oversea student with the extended visa that allows you to work
- You have shifted to Australia permanently
- You are on a business visa
You should have your passport and all the required documents. You should be authorized to work in Australia by the authorities, Department of Immigration, and Citizenship. If you are a student, your visa should be valid that will allow you to remain in Australia as long as you like. You have to lodge your application Australia.
If you want to enjoy all the legal benefits that come with the tax file number it is important that you find yours or apply for one if you could not. It will allow you to enjoy many facilities and benefits. so do not miss this opportunity and get all your rights. If you are Australian resident living oversea the rules for you might be different.